US Lacrosse has posted a great article and set of resources on the topic of hydration and nutrition. It can get hot playing Summer lax – below you will find a summary of hydration recommendations – you can view the full presentation by Nancy C. Burke, ATC, VATL, US Lacrosse, Sport Science and Safety Committee. View the full report on Heat Illnesses and Prevention
- Drink 17-20 ounces of water or sports drink 2-3 hours before exercise
- Drink an additional 7-10 ounces of water or sports drink 10-20 minutes before exercise
- Drink early
- As a general guide, drink 7-10 ounces of water or sports drink every 10-20 minutes.
- Do not wait until thirsty; to maintain hydration, need to drink beyond thirst.
- Drink enough fluids to replace any weight loss within two hours of
completion of activity.
- For each pound of weight loss, drink 20-24 ounces of a sports drink.